Peoria Township began in 1908 with J. H.
Kingsburg as the
Supervisor. The beginning
Township was considered Peoria Township.
Only 25 families lived in Peoria in 1833, and
by 1844 the population
increased to 1,619.
The legislature passed a charter act
incorporating the City of Peoria and gave the
Township the name "Town of
Peoria. As the
City of Peoria grew and incorporated more
original Town of Peoria, commonly
referred to as
“West Peoria”, receded in area.
This area today has its own Township
maintains its own lighting district,
and has its own fire district. To eliminate
between the name ‘City of Peoria’
Peoria' on October 14, 1969,
the ‘Town of Peoria’ legally became
Peoria Township.’ The Township today
approximately the same land
included in the City of West Peoria.
The Township handles the general assist-
ance needs of residents. Annual events
include Government Day, an Easter Egg
Clean-Up Day in the spring and a
Bike Rodeo Registration in August.
Please contact Bob DeSutter
674-0462 or 674-6668
Peoria Bicycle Registration